About medical certificates or consent forms
When it is required to fill out and submit medical certificates (downloading of the medical certificate)
In order to confirm a doctor's judgment with regards to boarding, a medical certificate should be submitted in the following cases.
Please prepare medical certificates written within 14 days including the boarding date.(For use of stretcher, within 10 days
・When a stretcher (cot) is used
・When an oxygen bottle is used
・When medical device is used
・When it is thought that air travel will impact the body due to the treatment of an injury or illness, or after recent surgery
・In addition, when special arrangements and assistance are needed if there is a risk that the condition of an illness or one's physical condition will suddenly change
Validity Period of Medical Certificate:
In consideration of the time and financial burden for passengers who are in stable physical condition or have been scheduled to board multiple times within a certain period of time, medical certificates has set an expiration date.
If the doctor receives the request from customers (patient), please make a diagnosis and fill in the expiration date column of the medical certificate.
We will accept the medical certificate even if it is not issued within 14 days, as long as the boarding date is within the validity period.
Conditions requiring a doctor's diagnosis
For those with serious infectious disease or suspected that there is the risk of infecting others by boarding an aircraft, they are not allowed to board.
For those with the following conditions, while in principle it is not suitable for them to be transported by aircraft, if the condition of the illness and their physical condition is stable, and through a medical certificate a doctor determines that it is suitable for them to board an aircraft, please consult with us as it is possible that they can fly.
- Serious heart disease conditions such as serious heart failure, unstable angina, within six weeks after the onset of acute myocardial infarction, or badly controlled serious arrhythmia, and the period of instability after surgery for heart disease, including catheter surgery (within 21 days), within 72 hours of angiography, within four days after angiography (arterial dilatation), and pulmonary edema
- Thrombophlebitis, untreatable deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary thromboembolism, and pulmonary embolism
- Serious respiratory failure, serious chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, serious bronchial asthma, pneumothorax where lung dilation is not complete, hemopneumothorax, pneumonia, pulmonary emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis, and within 14 days after thoracic surgery
- The acute stage (four weeks after onset) of a stroke (cerebral infarction, subarachnoid hemorrhage, cerebral hemorrhage and transient ischemic attack, etc.), illness or control that causes increased intracranial pressure, insufficient convulsive disorder (epilepsy), within 14 days of cranial surgery, and air remaining in the central nervous system due to an examination, etc.
- Severe anemia, sickle cell anemia, and abnormal hemoglobin disease
- Gastrointestinal hemorrhage, digestive system diseases with the risk of hematemesis, melena and bleeding (acute stage gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer), intestinal obstruction, within one week after colon polypectomy surgery, the same day as a colon examination, within 14 days of major abdominal surgery (including appendix and keyhole laparoscopic surgery), and within 14 days of laparoscopy.
- Acute stage ear, nose and throat disorders (inflammation of the middle ear and sinusitis), within 14 days after surgery of the middle ear and a tonsillectomy, wire straightening of the jaw, and having pronounced lockjaw
- Within 14 days of intraocular surgery, conditions where all the intraocular gas is not absorbed with a penetrating eye injury, and within 4 days after cataract surgery or cornea laser surgery
- Conditions where the wounded area after surgery is not sufficiently healed, or conditions where air or other gas remains in the body after surgery
- Acute stage decompression sickness (diver's disease)
- Within 48 hours of a serious fracture injury (full plaster cast, etc.), and burns
- Among the five kinds of infectious diseases, ones that may spread to other people in the aircraft cabin, and among infectious diseases where school attendance is stopped as stipulated in the School Health & Safety Act, diseases where the criteria for the period of suspended attendance has not passed (influenza, whooping cough, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, pharyngoconjunctival fever, COVID-19, tuberculosis, epidemic keratoconjunctivitis, acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis and meningococcal meningitis). For rubella, chicken pox, epidemic conjunctivitis, acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis, tuberculosis and meningococcal meningitis, in the School Health & Safety Act, the specific number of days has not been set out, but if it is within 10 days after onset. If 11 days have passed after onset, a medical certificate is not required.
- Pregnant women who are within 28 days of the expected date of birth (if an obstetrician certifies that it is suitable for her to board, being accompanied by a doctor is not a condition). However, for international flights, being accompanied by an obstetrician is a condition when the expected date of birth is within 14 days of boarding, and for domestic flights, being accompanied by an obstetrician is a condition when the expected date of birth is within seven days of boarding.
- Newborns who were born within seven days ago.
Flow of events for submitting a medical certificate
STEP1: Preparing the medical certificate
Either print out a PDF file of the medical certificate, or order from the JAL Priority Guest Center or the nearest JAL branch or business office.
- Medical certificates (PDF file, about 153KB)
- The nearest JAL branch or business office The nearest JAL branch or business office
STEP2: Filling out
The first and second pages of the medical certificate are important points and reference materials.
The attending physician fills out the "Medical certificate" on the third page.
On the fourth page, customers fill out "About necessary arrangements" and the "Consent form".
After filling it out, please send the "Medical certificate" and "About necessary arrangements" in advance to the JAL Priority Guest Center by fax.
*The deadline for sending is 48 hours before departure for JAL Group domestic and international flights.
STEP4: Confirmation by JAL
JAL will confirm the details of the medical certificate.
For details, please contact the JAL Priority Guest Center or the nearest JAL branch or business office.
Customers living in Japan
Within "Information and consultations about boarding", please consult with the JAL Priority Guest Center.
- Toll free
- Not toll free
*Open throughout the year 9:00-17:00
*Calls made to this number are recorded to improve the quality of our telephone support and to confirm the details of the inquiry.
Fax number to send the medical certificate
Information for passengers who are pregnant:
- Pregnant women who have their expected date of delivery within 28 days need a Medical certificates issued within 7 days of their boarding date.
*If board within 7 days including the expected date of delivery, need to be accompanied by a physician.
Need to issue medical certificates within 7 days of the date of boarding date if board,
- In case of boarding within 28 days including the expected date of delivery
- When the expected date of delivery is not clear
- If you are pregnant with twins or more
- If they have had a premature birth
*If board within 14 days including the expected date of delivery, you need to be accompanied by an obstetrician.
Healthy pregnant women do not need to fax Medical certificates in advance. Please bring it directly to the airport counter.
Downloading of the medical certificate
You can download medical certificates (PDF file).Medical certificates (PDF file, about 153KB)
*When viewing the PDF file, “Adobe Reader” is required. If you do not have it, please check the following.
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.Frequently asked questions