Learn about rules for knives, dangerous goods, and other carry-on or checked baggage items concerned by many passengers.
For passengers flying on a codeshare flight
When boarding a codeshare flight serviced by another airline, the free baggage allowance indicated on your ticket will be valid in principle. For details, please contact us, the operating airline or your travel agency.
- What you can't carry to the cabin
- Carry-on items with restrictions
- What you can't include in checked baggage
- Checked items with restrictions
- Items prohibited from carry-on and checked baggage
What you can't carry to the cabin
Carrying knives or other restricted items into the cabin is a violation of Japan's Aviation Law and subject to a fine of up to JPY500,000.
- Items that can be used as a weapon, including knives and blunt objects
- Items with exceptionally sharp points
- Other items that could be used as weapons
If you are found to be carrying such items at a security check when departing from the U.S. or another country outside of Japan, you may be subject to fines under the laws of that country.
Country specific restrictions (Typical examples)
- The limitations of carry-on "Ink and Toner Cartriges"
- India-departing flights: matches and lighters prohibited as carry-on items
- Notice on changes to carry-on restrictions for passengers traveling to China
- Carry-on restrictions for fluids
* For details, please also check each airport information page.
Q&A about baggage
Carry-on items with restrictions
There are volume restrictions for fluids that can be carried onto international flights.
- All liquids must be in containers with a capacity no greater than 100ml.
- If traveling with more than one container, place all containers into a transparent and re-sealable plastic bag of a maximum capacity not exceeding one litre.
- One bag per person.
If your bag exceeds size restrictions, please properly pack the bag, place it inside baggage to be checked, and inform the check-in counter staff.
If your itinerary involves a transit, note that other countries have similar restrictions.
These restrictions also apply to passengers transitting to international routes after arriving in Japan. Note that passengers carrying alcohol and other liquid goods purchased inflight or at a duty-free shop in a foreign country will be asked to dispose of them when going through the security check in Japan for the connecting flight. Please refer to the following regarding the restrictions for carry-on liquids.
Lighters and matches
- One per passenger
- Only small lighters for smoking are permitted (including Lithium battery-powered lighters, USB rechargeable lighters)
More than one lighter per passenger cannot be carried on board.
Also, including any number of lighters in checked baggage is prohibited.
Lithium battery-powered lighters must be Lithium content less than 2g or Watt-hour rating less than 100Wh and with a safety cap or functions of protection against unintentional activation. It is prohibited charging in the cabin.
Lighters with oil tanks not containing absorbent material (cotton), cigar lighters/Premixing Lighters (those producing a strong blue flame) and pistol-shaped lighters cannot be checked in with baggage or carried on board.
Please make sure not to leave any lighters in the cabin when disembarking.
Restriction regarding match and lighter
Lighter and match are prohibited in checked baggage to the cargo compartment and also in carry-on baggage on some international flights.
Examples of common items in baggage
Hair curlers, curling irons
Handlings vary depending on the types of power supply.
|Battery types||Carry-on baggage||Checked baggage|
|Battery-operated type (Batteries are removed from the body)||◯||◯|
|Battery-operated type (Batteries cannot be removed from the body) *1||×||×|
*1Battery-operated type (Batteries cannot be removed from the body) include battery and heating unit integrated type.
Portable Electronic Devices with built-in lithium or lithium ion batteries
- Mobile phone, portable DVD players, radio equipment, transceiver, notebook PC, digital camera, mobile device, handy copy, printer, handy device, e-book player, portable game player, camera equipment, etc.
Handlings vary depending on the lithium content.
|Types||Lithium content||Carry-on baggage||Checked baggage|
|Electronic devices containing the batteries||Less than 2g||◯||◯|
|More than 2g||×||×|
|Spare lithium batteries
*Protected individually to prevent short circuits
|Less than 2g||◯||×|
|More than 2g||×||×|
Lithium ion batteries
Handlings vary depending on the watt-hour (Wh) rating.
- *Watt-hour (Wh) = Ampere hour (Ah) x Voltage (V)
|Types||Watt-hour rating||Carry-on baggage||Checked baggage|
|Electronic devices containing the batteries||Less than 160Wh||◯||◯|
|More than 160Wh||×||×|
||Less than 100Wh||◯||×|
|100Wh to 160Wh||◯
|More than 160Wh||×||×|
- *Up to 2 pieces (Including lithium and lithium-ion spare batteries for Portable Medical Electronic Devices and which battery content are 2g to 8g and Watt-hour rating 100Wh to 160Wh.)
Baggage equipped with lithium or lithium ion batteries (Smart Baggage *1)
|Type||Carry-on baggage||Checked baggage|
|Battery can be removed||◯||◯*2|
|Battery can not be removed||×||×|
- *1 Baggage equipped with lithium or lithium ion batteries (including power banks) which may include features such as:
Lithium ion battery (including power bank) that allows charging of other electronic devices such as mobile phones, tablets and laptops. GPS tracking devices. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi capability.
- *2 Battery must be removed and the battery carried into the cabin.
- *Smart Baggage using a lithium battery content less than 0.3g or lithium-ion battery Watt-hour less than 2.7Wh can be brought into the cabin or handled as a checked baggage even battery cannot be removed.
- *Please check the handling of each battery for the number and capacity limit.
Please carry the valuable items such as PC or tablet PC with you and do not include them in your checked baggage.
Please take out your PC or tablet PC in advance and place them in the tray provided for security check.
Please switch the power off completely (not in sleep mode) and take measures to prevent from unintentional activation or damage.
Some Airlines may limit maximum quantity to electronic devices and/or spare batteries per person.
Recalled lithium battery powered devices
Affected devices are not permitted to be carried in checked-in baggage.
Please have batteries verified as safe or replaced by the manufacturer.
If you bring them before verified as safe or replaced by the manufacturer, devices must be carried in carry-on baggage and kept in your sight.*1
And also please completely switched off and do not charge devices for the duration of the flight.
- *1Under the seat in front or in the overhead compartment.
- *Depend on countries, airlines, restriction may be different. Some countries, airlines may restrict carry-on also. Please confirm restriction by yourself before departure
Self-heating meals or beverages
Box meal with self heating devices, Meals Ready-To-Eat
|Carry-on baggage||Checked baggage|
Instant Cold Pack
|Carry-on baggage||Checked baggage|
What you can't include in checked baggage
Expensive items, valuables
The items listed below should be carried with you and not included in your checked baggage.
|Expensive items||Cash, jewelry, precious metals, securities, bills of exchange, works of art and antiques.|
|Valuables||Documents, electronic data, passports and other personal identification required for travel, samples, credit/bank cards, cash vouchers, bankbooks, checks, commuter passes, keys, computers and computer accessories, mobile phones, film cameras, digital cameras, video cameras, medicines, paintings, watches, mementos, etc.|
Checked items with restrictions
Bulky baggage and musical instruments
Passengers may be prohibited from checking the following baggage. Please contact us or your travel agency for details.
- Bulky baggage with total outside dimensions (length + width + height) over 203cm (80in)
- Large baggage that cannot be laid on its side and that has a height of more than 150cm (59in)*1
- Large baggage or musical instruments (contrabasses, cellos, etc.) that have a weight of more than 32㎏ (70lbs)
*1 79cm (31in) for any one side in the case of Boeing 737 aircraft
Items prohibited from carry-on and checked baggage
Please see the following page for information about dangerous goods.
Transportable items are for personal use only.