Learn about size and weight restrictions for baggage checked at airport counters, and applicable notes.
Free checked baggage allowance
Up to 20kg is free of charge for each passenger.
(Up to 45kg is free of charge for First Class passengers.)
*No limit to the number of bags.
Total outside dimension (length + width + height):
within 50cm x 60cm x 120cm
If your baggage exceeds the free allowance, we will check your baggage with excess baggage charges.
Rules may differ for codeshare flights operated by other airlines. Please check with the airline that will be checking your baggage.
For trips with domestic connections to flights operated by non-JAL Group carriers - including Fuji Dream Airlines, ANA, Amakusa Airlines, Oriental Air Bridge, and Solaseed Air - we will check your baggage to your final destination as long as certain conditions are met.
If your domestic flight is included in an international flight ticket, baggage rules of international routes apply.
Notes on checked baggage
- Please switch off the electronic devices in your checked baggage. Valuables should not be included in your checked baggage.
- When inadequate space prevents checked baggage from being taken on a flight, this baggage may be transported on an another flight or by a shipping company.
- Although JAL makes every effort to ensure the safe transport of fragile items, it accepts no liability for any damages arising from defects or qualities inherent to the product.
For example, damage to baggage caused by the baggage being too heavy or too large, minor damage such as scuffs, cuts, dents and dirt.
- Please note that some hazardous items are prohibited by the law as neither carry-on nor checked baggage.
Please refer to Restricted items page for more details.
Baby carriage or stroller
Baby stroller, baby carriages or child seat can be checked as baggage without charge.
- * Note that the above only applies for items used by the customer.
Sports equipment/music instruments
Sports equipment that exceeds the size limit may still be accepted for loading if the cargo space of the aircraft is available.
- *In certain cases arising from space limitations or weather, passengers may be unable to check in their baggage, even if baggage requirements are met. In such cases, passengers will be required to arrange the baggage delivery service on their own.
Checked baggage rules
|Aircraft types||Maximum length of baggage||Remarks|
|773 (Boeing 777-300)||400cm|
|772 (Boeing 777-200)|
|359 (AIRBUS A350-900)||200cm|
|787 (Boeing 787-8)||300cm|
|767 (Boeing 767)|
|738 (Boeing 737-800)||320cm|
|734 (Boeing 737-400)|
|E70 (EMBRAER 170)||250cm||Due to the small size of the aircraft, checked baggage privileges are not guaranteed, even if such baggage meets the requirements.
It is recommended that another means of transport be used for baggage that cannot be accommodated by the aircraft.
|E90 (EMBRAER 190)|
|DH4 (Bombardier DHC8-Q400)||220cm|
We will take special care of your "family member" until pickup at the airport of arrival. (A separate Pet Charge applies.)