Who can select a seat?
Seat selection is available to passengers traveling on JAL First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy Class or Economy Class with normal or discount fares for individual passengers. Seat selection is also available to passengers using award tickets.
- *The range of seats available for selection may be limited based on fare type, required mileage (award ticket) and purchase location. Because only a limited number of seats can be pre-selected, we may not be able to accommodate your preferences.
Seat selection is not available in the following situations.
- When all seats available for advance seat selection have already been assigned
- Deutsche Bahn Rail segments
When flying with other carriers or on codeshare flights
- Availability may vary by flight and fare type. When selecting seats through JAL website, the system will automatically notify you if seats are available for selection. (Please check the Booking details screen after booking to view seat availability.)
- Please note that paid seats on other carriers cannot be pre-selected on JAL website.
- Actual seat configurations may vary from those shown on JAL website. Please contact the carrier for details.
- Seat number changes for pre-selected seats on codeshare flights operate by other carriers may not be reflected on JAL website.
- Your pre-selected seat may be no longer available if you arrive after the check-in close time of your flight.
- In the event of a change in aircraft, seat numbers and types (aisle/window) may change as well. Passengers who booked through JAL will receive notifications of such changes via the e-mail address you registered you in JAL Mileage Bank or on JAL website.
- Some seats are not available to unaccompanied children, pregnant women, passengers traveling with infants or requiring a wheelchair. For more information, please check at the time of booking.
- As baby bassinet seat will be assigned with priority for a passenger who accompanies a baby, for passengers not accompanying a baby we may ask you for a seat change even if you have selected a baby bassinet seat.
- Starting from 3 days prior to departure, if there is any change of the pre-selected seat number, the new seat number may not be reflected on JAL website.
* You may check the new seat number on the e-mail from JAL with the title of "Notice of Change in Reservation".
Request to passengers assigned to an emergency exit row seat.
In accordance with a directive issued by the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, from April 1, 2009, for the safety of all passengers, emergency exit seats will be limited to passengers that satisfy all the conditions below.
- Above the age of 15 (passengers under 15 years old are not permitted to select emergency exit row seats)
- Do not require the assistance of an escort or staff
- Be capable of assisting in an emergency evacuation, such as opening or closing an aircraft door
- Can understand evacuation procedures and crew's instructions, and verbally convey such information to other passengers
- Do not have to assist an accompanying passenger in an emergency evacuation*
- Consent to providing assistance in an emergency evacuation
Passengers who do not satisfy conditions 1 through 6 above will be requested to change to another seat.
To ensure another seat quick evacuation of the aircraft, passengers seated in emergency exit rows will be asked to assist during an emergency evacuation by following the instructions of the cabin crew.
Carry-on baggage must not be placed at your feet or on your lap during takeoff or landing. Appreciate your cooperation.
*Small children (domestic flights: under 8 years old; international flight: under 12 years old) and their companion are not eligible to use emergency exit row seats.
For more information, please check here.