Reminders when Redeeming Mileage
Cancellations and Refunds
Once redeemed, mileage cannot be refunded to the original account.
Mileage that has been deducted from a JMB account following an award request cannot be refunded to the original account or used in exchange for a different award. This applies regardless of whether the refund request is made before the award has been issued or whether the award is completely unused.
Mileage Reinstatement Service for Unused Awards
Under certain conditions, it will be possible to reinstate (return) deducted mileage to the original JMB account. This service is limited to award tickets and upgrade awards that have already been reserved and issued and are still completely unused.
|Refundable awards||Refund charge||Validity of reinstated mileage|
|Unused award tickets||¥3,100 (tax included)*||The original validity period applies|
|Unused upgrade awards
*Please note the deadline for cancellations / refunds.
|No refund charge|
- *Members in regions other than Japan: Local currency equivalent to ¥3,100. The refund charge does not apply to infants who travel on a JAL International Award Ticket and share a seat with an accompanying passenger.
- *The refund charge of JAL Group Domestic Flights JMB DIAMOND Award Tickets is ¥6,200 (tax included)
- The mileage redemption will be cancelled and the relevant valid miles will be returned to the original JMB account, retroactive to the date of the original mileage redemption.
Your mileage balance history on/after the original mileage redemption date will be recalculated accordingly. Please verify the change in your mileage balance after the valid miles have been refunded.
- All returned awards must be completely unused and within 1 year from the date the award ticket is issued. Refunds cannot be accepted after the departure of the booked first sector flight.
- Failure to board a reserved flight will render the award ticket null and void. In this case, the mileage used for the award ticket cannot be refunded to the original account or used in exchange for a different award.
- Mileage cannot be returned if it is expired at the time of the reinstatement request.
- If multiple awards that were redeemed with the same JMB account are to be refunded at the same time, one refund charge will be charged per award. Additionally, if awards for two or more passengers are to be refunded at the same time, one refund charge will be charged per passenger.
- Credit cards are accepted for payment of the refund charge.
As a security measure when calling the JMB Award Reservations Desk, Japan, you will be required to authenticate your credit card information by entering your credit card number, expiration date, and security code from your phone's dial pad.
Please return the refunded award to Award Reservation Desk/JMB Center. The member will be responsible for shipping charge at the time of return (excluding e ticket).
- Mileage cannot be reinstated when travel has been completed for an airline ticket that was purchased at JMB One-Way Fares to be used together with a one-way JAL International Award Ticket.
- Although mileage cannot be reinstated for partially used award tickets, requests for a refund of airport taxes, airport usage fees, fuel surcharges, insurance surcharges, and other charges and taxes will be accepted upon payment of the refund charge. Please note that payments made by JAL Coupons or e JAL Points (e JAL Points used for purchase on/before November 15, 2017) are nonrefundable. For such refund requests, if the required mileage for the flown flight sectors exceeds the mileage deducted for the award ticket, the difference may be adjusted on your account accordingly.
Upgrade awards Deadline for Cancellations / Refunds
- Deadline for cancellations / refunds :
- 24 hours prior to the departure of your upgrade award flight (departure city time)*
- *Until the end of business hours of call centers in each region.
- When you change your booked Premium Economy upgrade award to a Business Class upgrade award at the airport on the day of departure.
- When you cancel the purchased ticket, or change your reservation.
Cancellation and Refunds on the JAL Website
Please note that some restrictions apply when cancelling/refunding awards from the JAL website.
JAL Group Airlines Domestic Award Tickets
Please request the cancellation/refund on the JAL website no later than 15 minutes prior to the departure of the first flight sector on your booked itinerary.
If there are less than 15 minutes until departure, please contact the JMB Domestic Award Reservations Desk.
JAL International Award Tickets
Cancellations/refunds are permitted on the JAL website only when the award ticket is an e-ticket that is canceled before the commencement of travel.
Partial cancellations/refunds will not be accepted. JAL International Award Tickets can be canceled/refunded until 23:59 (departure city time) on the day prior to the commencement of travel.
JAL International Upgrade Awards
JAL International Upgrade Awards cannot be canceled/refunded on the JAL website.
Parter Airlines Award Tickets
Except the following tickets, cancellations/refunds are permitted on the JAL website only when the award ticket is an e-ticket that is canceled before the commencement of travel.
Partial cancellations/refunds will not be accepted. JMB Partner Airlines Award Tickets can be canceled/refunded until 23:59 (departure city time) on the day prior to the commencement of travel.
Alaska Airlines: First Class
China Eastern Airlines: China (including Hong Kong and Macau) domestic sectors
Korean Air : Business Class
LATAM Airlines: LATAM Airlines Equador(XL) and LATAM Airlines Argentina(4M) flight numbers, combinations of LATAM Airlines(LA) and LATAM Airlines Brazil(JJ)
Jetstar Japan: International flights
- *If fuel surcharges and other taxes are paid by credit card, the refund will be credited to the original credit card that was used for payment. Please allow 1 to 2 months for refund to be reflected to your credit card account.
Please note that payment made by JAL Coupons is nonrefundable.