JAL International Upgrade Awards
Booking class E fares will not be eligible for JAL International Upgrade Awards on flights leaving on or after February 1, 2021.
- JAL International Upgrade Awards are available for fewer miles by taking part in the following promotions.
JAL Website only Upgrade Discount Promotion
Upgrade your flight using fewer miles on eligible routes.
Promotion for Airport Upgrades
Promotion for FLY ON members only
A designated number of miles will be credited back to the original account toward the end of the month following an eligible flight.
Deadlines for Award Reservations
Award reservations will be accepted from 10:00 (Japan time), 360 days prior to flight departure.
|Reservations made on the JAL website||Reservations made by phone|
|25 hours (departure city time) prior to the departure of the respective outbound flight or return flight||24 hours (departure city time) prior to the departure of the respective outbound flight or return flight|
- *If the above deadlines fall outside the operating hours of the Call Center or JAL Office, the deadline will be the previous business day.
- *Upgrade award information is stored electronically in your reservation record - no physical award will be issued. When checking in, please mention that you have already requested an upgrade award.
- *For waitlisted reservations, please verify whether your seat has been confirmed on the JAL website or when you check in at the airport. Mileage will be redeemed and the necessary arrangements to issue the award will be made once your flight has been confirmed.
Airport Upgrades for JAL International Flights may also be available.
How to Request Awards
Requests for upgrade awards are accepted via the JAL website or by phone.
Reservations are available starting from 360 days prior to the departure date of your itinerary's final returning flight sector.
How to request JAL International Upgrade Awards from the JAL Mileage Bank top page
Please log in to your JMB account to request an award. After logged in, please follow the steps below from the JAL Mileage Bank top page.
1Click "Award Redemption (Air)" from "Member Menu".
2Click "Redeem JAL International Upgrade Award" from the "International award ticket" menu.
To make requests by phone, please contact the JMB Award Reservations Desk/JMB Center below.
JMB Award Reservations Desk/JMB Center
Reminders when Requesting Awards
At the time of making your reservation (including waitlisted reservations), you must already have purchased your ticket, which is valid for use with an upgrade award.
- *To request an award via the JAL website, your ticket number must begin with "131".
For all other tickets, please make your request by phone.
When making your reservation, you must already have in your JMB account the total amount of mileage that is needed for the award.
- If you do not have enough miles, you will not be able to make a reservation.
- Waitlists for JAL International Upgrade Awards will be held until 24 hours prior to flight departure (departure city time). Waitlisted requests that are not confirmed by the end of the waitlist holding period will be cancelled. If you still wish to upgrade after your waitlisted request has been cancelled, please inquire at the airport on the day of your flight.
- Miles will be deducted and the award issuance process will be started immediately upon completion of the award reservation/request.
- Waitlists may be temporarily unavailable or closed for some flights.
One waitlisted reservation will be permitted per one flight sector.
If you have an Economy Class ticket that was purchased at a fare eligible for upgrade awards, waitlisting will be permitted for either Premium Economy Class or Business Class, but not for both. However, if you already have booked an upgrade award for a flight sector, waitlisting will not be permitted for that flight sector.
- Priority waitlisting for award ticket reservations and upgrade award reservations will apply to JMB FLY ON status members (JMB Diamond, JGC Premier, JMB Sapphire, and JMB Crystal members) and JAL Global Club members.
- If seats are not available for all passengers on the same reservation, all of the passengers on the reservation will be waitlisted.
- If a reservation is made through a travel agency for two or more passengers and not all of the passengers on that same reservation wish to upgrade their flight, the reservation record for those passengers who wish to upgrade must be split from the passengers who will not upgrade their flight. Please contact the travel agency to have your reservation split before you make your upgrade request.
Payment of Taxes and Other Fees
Amounts for the following air passenger duties differ according to cabin class. The difference in amount is required for every upgrade to Premium Economy Class or Business Class.
- *Payments are accepted by phone. Please contact JMB International Award Reservations Desk/JMB Center before departure.
JMB International Award Reservations Desk/JMB Center
[As of January 2020]
- UK AIR PASSENGER DUTY: 78GBP/94GBP* for departure from London.
(Payment is not applicable to upgrades from Premium Economy Class to Business Class.)
[Passengers under 16 years of age]
Passengers under the age of 16 will be exempt from payment when traveling in Economy but will not be exempt when traveling in Premium Economy or Business. Accordingly, a payment of 156GBP/172GBP* is required for upgrades from Economy Class to Premium Economy Class/Business Class.
- *Applies to tickets issued on/after May 11, 2018 for flights departing on/after April 1, 2019.
- FRANCE AIR PASSENGER SOLIDARITY TAX: 40.56 EUR and AIR PASSENGER SOLIDARITY TAX SURPLUS: 15.00 EUR* for departure from Paris.
(Payment for the tax difference is not applicable to upgrades from Economy Class to Premium Economy Class.)
- *Applies to tickets issued on/after January 1, 2020 for flights departing on/after January 1, 2020.
- DEPARTURE TAX (Malaysia): 130 Ringgit* for departure from Kuala Lumpur.
(Payment is not applicable to upgrades from Economy Class to Premium Economy Class.)
- *Applies to tickets for flights departing on/after September 1, 2019.
Please note that members with tickets issued on/before August 31, 2019 will be required to pay the 150 MYR departure tax that is levied on Business Class passengers.
- *Applies to tickets for flights departing on/after September 1, 2019.
- Standard services such as advance seat selection on upgraded classes and airport lounge access for First and Business Class passengers also apply to award travel.
- If you are connecting between a flight operated by another airline (including codeshare flights with a JAL flight number) and a JAL-operated flight, the free baggage allowance for the upgraded class will not be applicable to the flight sector operated by the other airline.
- If connecting from a flight operated by another airline, the free baggage allowance for the upgraded class will not be applicable when the baggage is through checked-in at other airlines' check-in counters.
- To enjoy the upgraded class free baggage allowance service for the upgraded sector, you must check-in again at the transit airport counter.