CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE (INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE)
Effective 16 November, 2017
11. BAGGAGE (A)-(C)
- (A) Restriction of Acceptance as Baggage
- (1) JAL will refuse to accept as Baggage:
- (a) items which do not constitute Baggage as defined in Article 1;
- (b) items which may endanger an aircraft or any person or property, such as items which are specified in the Dangerous Goods Regulations of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and in JAL's Regulations;
- (c) items Carriage of which is prohibited by Applicable Laws of any state or country to be flown from, into or over;
- (d) items which JAL deems unsuitable for Carriage by reason of their weight, size, shape or character such as being fragile or perishable;
- (e) live animals, except those provided for in Paragraph (K) of this Article; or
- (f) Firearms, swords and other similar items, except as otherwise provided in JAL's Regulations.
- (2) JAL may refuse Carriage of, and take any necessary step with respect to, items of which Carriage as Baggage is prohibited by the preceding sub-paragraph (1) and may refuse onward Carriage of any such item upon discovery thereof.
- (3) JAL will refuse to accept fragile or perishable items, money, jewelry, precious metals, negotiable papers, securities or other valuables, business documents, passports or other identification documents necessary for travel or samples as Checked Baggage.
- (4) JAL may refuse to carry Baggage as Checked Baggage in case it is not properly packed in a suitcase or other suitable container to ensure safe Carriage with ordinary care in handling.
- (5) If any item referred to in sub-paragraph (1) of this paragraph is carried, whether or not Carriage of such item as Baggage is prohibited, such Carriage shall be subject to the charges, limitations of liability and any other provision of these Conditions of Carriage applicable to Carriage of Baggage.
- (B) Security Inspection
- (1) A Passenger shall submit to any security check required by government or airport officials or by JAL,
unless it is specifically deemed unnecessary by government or airport officials or by JAL.
- (2) JAL will inspect the contents of Passenger's Baggage by opening his/her Baggage and/or by using some device in the presence of the Passenger concerned or a third person, for the purpose of security (including but not limited to the prevention of unlawful acts of seizure, exercise of control or destruction of aircraft) and/or for any other reason. Notwithstanding the foregoing, JAL may inspect the Passenger's Baggage in his/her or a third person's absence to see whether he/she is in possession of, or his/her Baggage contains, any prohibited item referred to in sub-paragraph (1) of paragraph (A) of this Article.
- (3) JAL will search Passenger's articles by touching the Passenger through his/her clothes and personal fittings including wigs or by using such instruments as a metal detector, for the purpose of security (including but not limited to the prevention of unlawful acts of seizure, exercise of control or destruction of aircraft) and/or for any other reason.
- (4) When a Passenger does not agree with JAL's inspection as specified in sub-paragraph (2) of this paragraph, JAL will refuse to carry such a Passenger's Baggage.
- (5) When a Passenger does not agree with JAL's search as specified in sub-paragraph (3) of this paragraph, JAL will refuse to carry such a Passenger.
- (6) When such prohibited items as specified in sub-paragraph (1) of paragraph (A) of this Article have been found as a result of such inspection or search as specified in sup-paragraph (2) or (3) of this paragraph, JAL may refuse to carry such Baggage, or may dispose of such Baggage.
- (C) Checked Baggage
- (1) Nothing contained in these Conditions of Carriage shall entitle a Passenger to have his/her Baggage checked on a flight for which a Carrier does not accept checking of Baggage.
- (2) Unless otherwise provided in JAL's Regulations or Applicable Laws, JAL will, upon presentation by a Passenger of a valid Ticket covering Carriage on the lines of JAL or on the lines of JAL and one or more other Carriers, accept as Checked Baggage the Baggage which is tendered by the Passenger at the office designated, and by the time prescribed, by JAL in respect of Carriage on the lines designated on the Ticket; provided that JAL will not accept as Checked Baggage the Baggage tendered for Carriage:
- (a) beyond the Destination designated, or on any routing not designated, on the Ticket;
- (b) beyond a Stopover point, or beyond a point at which the Passenger transfers to a connecting flight departing from a different airport from that at which the Passenger is scheduled to arrive under the Ticket, unless otherwise provided for in JAL's Regulations;
- (c) beyond a point of transfer of the Baggage to any other Carrier with which JAL has no interline Baggage agreement or which has different conditions of Carriage of Baggage from JAL's;
- (d) for a sector in respect to which the Passenger holds no reservation;
- (e) beyond a point at which the Passenger desires to resume possession of such Baggage or any portion thereof; or
- (f) for a sector in respect to which the Passenger does not pay all applicable charges.
- (3) Upon delivery to JAL of Baggage to be checked, JAL will describe in the Ticket the number of pieces and/or weight of the Checked Baggage (which act shall constitute the issuance of a Baggage Check) and will issue a Baggage Identification Tag for each piece of the Checked Baggage.
- (4) If a piece of Checked Baggage of a Passenger has no name, initial or other personal identification, the Passenger shall affix such identification to the Baggage prior to JAL's acceptance of checking.
- (5) JAL will, to the reasonable extent possible, carry Checked Baggage of a Passenger coincidently with the Passenger on the aircraft which the Passenger boards; provided that, if JAL deems it difficult or impracticable, JAL may carry the Checked Baggage on any other flight in which such Baggage can be loaded within the maximum weight allowance or by any other transportation service.
- (6) JAL will, unless JAL otherwise agrees in advance, refuse to accept Carriage of any piece of Baggage the total of the greatest outside length, the greatest outside height and the greatest outside width (hereinafter referred to as the "sum of the three dimensions") of which exceeds 203 centimeters (80 inches) or the dimensions of which cannot be stowed in a cargo compartment of the boarding flight, and/or the weight of which exceeds 32 kilograms (70 pounds). In case JAL accepts such Carriage, charges shall be assessed in accordance with JAL's Regulations.