Effective for requests made on/after October 1, 2015, a waitlist reservation deadline will be implemented for fully booked flights
Effective for upgrade reservations/changes/cancellation requests made on/after April 1, 2015, the rules for booking JAL International Upgrade Awards will be revised as follows.
(1)The reinstatement fee for canceling and refunding an unused upgrade award will be abolished.
(2)Changes to upgrade award reservations will not be permitted.
To change your reservation, please cancel and refund your existing upgrade reservation and then make a new upgrade reservation.
* At the time of making your reservation and applying for the award (including waitlisted reservations), you must already have purchased your ticket, which is valid for use with an upgrade award. This same rule also applies to upgrades to Class J with Class J-e Coupon for domestic sectors included in international flight tickets.
Upgrade awards allow the user to fly in the next higher
class of service than that of the purchased ticket.
- Japan Airlines (JAL) International Routes
- * Flights without a higher class of service are not
- * Upgrade awards are not available on Japan domestic routes.
- * Upgrade awards are not available on codeshare flights operated by other airlines.
- * Some other sectors may not be eligible. Eligible sectors/routes are subject to change.
Tickets eligible for Upgrade
→ First Class
||Business class normal fares, Business Saver , Business Saver 14 , Business Saver 21 Weekend Stay, Business Saver 7 Weekend Stay, etc.
|Economy class → Business Class
*Ineligible for package tour(Including Dynamic Package).
|Economy class normal fares, Economy Saver Flex , Economy Saver Premium , Economy Saver , Dynamic Saver Premium, Dynamic Saver Type A / Type B, etc.
|Economy class → Premium Economy
*Ineligible for package tour(Including Dynamic Package).
|Economy Saver, Dynamic Saver Type A / Type B.
Tickets not eligible for Upgrade
Dynamic Saver Type C / Type D / Type E / Type F, individual or group inclusive tour fares, special discounted fares, JMB award tickets or tickets subject to special provisions.
* Certain Dynamic Saver types are not eligible for upgrade. Please confirm that the fare type is eligible for upgrade awards before purchase.
* Seats designated for upgrade awards are limited and may not be available even upon purchase of an eligible ticket.
Awards can be used by the JMB member and the following relatives designated by the member:
Please click here for details.
Please refer the "JAL International Upgrade Award Chart".
- * Awards issued for children and infants require the same mileage as those issued for adults.
- * The required mileage would be deducted when the flight has been confirmed. For the travels via Japan, even if unable to confirm the whole journey when you apply,
the required mileage for the confirmed flight would be deducted first. If the rest of flights are confirmed by the deadline of the waiting list, the required mileage would be rearranged
with the "Required mileage for travels via Japan". "Mileage Reinstatement Service for Unused Awards" is applicable in case of cancellation of unused upgrade awards after mileage deduction.
Please refer "Restricted Travel Dates for JAL International Upgrade
Awards". At other times the number of seats available for award travel may be limited, or may not be available.
Upgrade awards are valid only for the flight and date originally reserved. Failure to travel on the reserved flight and date will result in forfeiture of the award. For reservation change made on/before March 31, 2015 and before the original reservation flight departure time, the validity of upgrade awards will be 1 year from the date mileage is deducted (the date the award ticket is issued), provided it is within the validity of the purchased ticket.
* Reservation change will not be permitted on/after April 1, 2015.
- When you make reservations through the JAL website, other conditions will apply. Please refer here for confirmation.
- Upgrade awards are available for either round-trip or one-way travel.
- All flights must be confirmed for the upgraded class of service at the time of mileage redemption.
- When using upgrade awards, all of the restrictions and conditions of travel for the ticket you purchased
- A maximum of three flight sectors are permitted for each one-way upgrade award.
- You cannot combine two upgrade awards to be "bumped up" from economy class to business class
to first class. Upgrade awards are from the lower class to the next higher class only.
[Changes made on/before March 31, 2015]
< Reservation changes >
< Cancellations and refunds >
- Changes to flight number and flight date are permitted if the provided fare rule of purchased ticket allows date change, and the reservation change is completed before the departure time of the original flight reservation.
- Please note that airport office counter cannot handle these changes.
- Changes to the traveler's name, the flight sector, the class of service, reversing the direction of travel, exchange of awards and open itinerary are not permitted.
- * "Mileage Reinstatement Service" for Unused Awards is applicable in case of cancellation of unused award tickets.
Members are responsible for all the mailing costs of award tickets sent to the JMB Award Reservations desk in your region.
[Changes/refunds made on/after April 1, 2015]
< Reservation changes >
Changes to upgrade award reservations are not permitted. If you wish to change your reservation, you must cancel and refund your existing upgrade reservation and then make a new upgrade reservation. Please note that the mileage reinstatement fee will not apply for the upgrade award.
< Cancellations and refunds >
If you cancel and refund your unused upgrade award, the mileage reinstatement fee will not be charged.
- Mileage cannot be reinstated if you fail to board your reserved flight.
- Mileage cannot be refunded to your account if it has already expired by the time you request to have it reinstated.
How to Apply
||. . .
||JMB International Award Reservations Desk, Japan
||. . .
0570-025-121 (Toll call)
When you use an international call or from IP-phone, please call 03-6733-3062 (Toll call).
(8:00 - 19:00 / 7days a week)
The content of conversation with the customer may be recorded or monitored to ensure quality service.
Deadlines for Award Application
You must make reservations before requesting your award by calling the JMB International Award Reservations Desk from 10:00 of 330 days prior to the date of flight departure (not including the day of departure). The deadline of award reservation is 19:00 one day prior to the flight departure date. In case of waitlists, the deadline of award reservation is 17:30 one day prior to the flight departure date.
- In the case of the JAL website, by 12:00 noon (Japan Time), one day prior to the departure date of the outward journey or return journey. However, in the case of waitlisted reservations, by 12:00 noon (Japan Time), one day prior to the departure date (the 1st sector).
- Please confirm your award reservation is confirmed at the time of check-in in case of waitlists. Mileage will be redeemed at the time the flight has been confirmed and necessary arrangements on award issuance will be started.
Effective for requests made on/after 08:00 (Japan time) on October 1, 2015, the following waitlist reservation deadlines will apply if a seat is not available on your preferred flight.
||Waitlist reservation deadline
||Waitlist holding period
||8 days prior to the departure of the waitlisted flight
||17:30 (Japan time) on the day prior to the respective departure date of the outbound or return flight
|On the JAL website
||8 days prior to the departure of the waitlisted flight, or 12:00 on the day prior to the commencement of travel (first flight sector), whichever is earlier
Reminders for Award Application
At the time of making your reservation, you must already have purchased your ticket, which is valid for use with an upgrade award.
However, effective until March 31, 2015, we will accept upgrade* award requests that are made prior to purchasing the ticket due to various reasons upon asking you to purchase the ticket (1) within 3 days once upgrade seats are arranged, (2) before the ticketing deadline of the ticket, or (3) one day before the departure date, whichever date is earliest. Please note that before any upgrade
request, the booking class must be confirmed.
* Including upgrades to Class J with Class J-e Coupon for domestic sectors included in international flight tickets Please note that we will cancel your upgrade seats if we cannot confirm your purchase.
- At the time of making reservations, you must already have in your JMB account the total amount of mileage that is needed for the award, otherwise you cannot make a reservation.
- All flights must be confirmed in order to issue an award. Upgrade Awards for open itineraries cannot be issued. Mileage will be redeemed by the Award Reservations Desk immediately at the time all flights have been confirmed and necessary arrangements on award issuance will be started.
- Upgrades are stored electronically and will be arranged at the departure airport on the flight date. When checking in, please mention that you have already requested for an upgrade award and present your purchased ticket.
- Waitlist application may be closed in certain international flights. Priority waitlisting for JMB Award reservations will apply to JMB FLY ON status members and JAL Global Club members.
Notes on redeeming for awards when applying for the JALCARD Family Program
If you register for the JALCARD Family Program, you can combine miles accumulated by individual family members when applying for awards. Main members or sub members who are 18 years old or above will be able to request awards by combining miles. Sub members under 18 years old cannot combine miles to request awards. For further details, please check "Notes on redeeming for awards" when applying for the JALCARD Family Program.
Reminders for Award Usage
- The following Airport Passenger Taxes will be necessary for Upgraded tickets from Economy class to Business class since this tax amount differs according to each reservation class.
* Payments are accepted by phone at Information & Reservation. When making the payment at your airport of departure, please allow enough time to complete the payment transaction.
[As of June 2015]
UK AIR PASSENGER DUTY: 71GBP/73GBP*1 for departure from London.
(Payment is not applicable to upgrades from Premium Economy to Business Class.)
*1 Applies to tickets issued on/after June 9, 2015 for flights departing on/after April 1, 2016.
[Passengers under 16 years of age]
Passengers under the age of 16 will be exempt from payment*1/"2 when traveling in Economy but will not be exempt when traveling in Premium Economy or Business. Accordingly, a payment of 142GBP/146GBP*3 is required for upgrades from Economy Class to Premium Economy/Business Class.
*1 Passengers under the age of 12 who have tickets issued on/after December 5, 2014 for departure on/after May 1, 2015.
*2 Passengers between the ages of 12 and 15 who have tickets for departure on/after March 1, 2016.
*3 Passengers under the age of 16 who have tickets issued on/after June 9, 2015 for departure on/after April 1, 2016.
AIR PASSENGER SOLIDARITY TAX : 40.56 EUR for departure from Paris.
Our standard services such as advance seat selection on upgraded classes and airport lounge access for First and Business class passengers also apply to award travel.
Please note that if you are connecting between a flight operated by another airline (including codeshare flights with a JAL flight number) and a JAL-operated flight, the free baggage allowance for the upgraded class will not be applicable to the flight sector operated by the other airline.
If connecting from other airline operated flights, the free baggage allowance for the upgraded class will not be applicable when the baggage is through checked-in at other airlines' check-in counters.
To receive the upgraded class free baggage allowance service for the upgraded sector, members are required to check-in again at the transit airport counter.
To page top