Upgrade awards allow the user to fly in the next higher
class of service than that of the purchased ticket.
- Japan Airlines (JAL) International Routes
Tickets eligible for Upgrade
→ First Class
||Business class normal fares, Business Saver , Business Saver 14 , Business Saver 21 Weekend Stay, Business Saver 7 Weekend Stay, etc.
|Economy class → Business Class
*Ineligible for package tour.
|Economy class normal fares, Economy Saver Flex , Economy Saver Premium , Economy Saver , Dynamic Saver Premium, Dynamic Saver Type A / Type B, etc.
Tickets not eligible for Upgrade
Dynamic Saver Type C / Type D / Type E / Type F, individual or group inclusive tour fares, special discounted fares, JMB award tickets or tickets subject to special provisions.
* Certain types of fares are not eligible for upgrade irrespective of booking.
Awards can be used by the JMB member and the following relatives designated by the member:
Please click here for details.
Please refer the "JAL International Upgrade Award Chart".
Special mileage levels apply for award travel that is not via Japan. Refer to the notes in the chart.
- * One-way upgrade awards require one-half the mileage of round-trip upgrade awards. Please refer to the notes
in the chart for the some exceptions.
- * Awards issued for children and infants require the same mileage as those issued for adults.
- * The required mileage would be deducted when the flight has been confirmed. For the travels via Japan, even if unable to confirm the whole journey when you apply,
the required mileage for the confirmed flight would be deducted first. If the rest of flights are confirmed by the deadline of the waiting list, the required mileage would be rearranged
with the "Required mileage for travels via Japan". "Mileage Reinstatement Service for Unused Awards" is applicable in case of cancellation of unused upgrade awards after mileage deduction.
Please refer "Restricted Travel Dates for JAL International Upgrade
Awards". At other times the number of seats available for award travel may be limited, or may not be available.
Upgrade awards are valid only for the flight and date originally reserved, Failure to travel on the reserved flight and date will result in forfeiture of the award. Only for the case of changes to reservation for the new flights is confirmed before boarding, ｔhe validity of upgrade awards will be 1 year from the date mileage is deducted (the date the award ticket is issued), provided it is within the validity of the purchased ticket.
- When you make reservations through the JAL website, other conditions will apply. Please refer here for confirmation.
- Upgrade awards are available for either round-trip or one-way travel.
- All flights must be confirmed for the upgraded class of service at the time of mileage redemption.
- When using upgrade awards, all of the restrictions and conditions of travel for the ticket you purchased
- A maximum of three flight sectors are permitted for each one-way upgrade award.
- You cannot combine two upgrade awards to be "bumped up" from economy class to business class
to first class. Upgrade awards are from the lower class to the next higher class only.
Change to flight number and flight date are permitted if the provided fare rule of purchased ticket allows date change and the reservation for the new flight is confirmed before boarding.
Please note that airport office counter cannot handle these changes.
Changes to the traveler's name, the flight sector, the class of service, reversing the direction of travel, exchange of awards and open itinerary are not permitted.
How to Apply
||. . .
||JMB International Award Reservations Desk, Japan
||. . .
0570-025-121 (Toll call)
When you use a PHS or an international call, please call 03-6733-3062 (Toll call).
(8:00 - 19:00 / 7days a week)
The content of conversation with the customer may be recorded or monitored to ensure quality service.
At the time of making reservations, you must already have your ticket, which is valid for use with an upgrade award. (Before any upgrade request, the booking class must be confirmed.)
Deadlines for Award Application
You must make reservations before requesting your award by calling the JMB International Award Reservations Desk from 10:00 of 330 days prior to the date of flight departure (not including the day of departure). The deadline of award reservation is 19:00 on a prior to the flight departure date. In case of waitlists, the deadline of award reservation is 17:30 on a prior to the flight departure date.
- In the case of the JAL website, by 12:00 noon (Japan Time), one day prior to the departure date of the outward journey or return journey. However, in the case of waitlisted reservations, by 12:00 noon (Japan Time), one day prior to the departure date (the 1st sector).
- Please confirm your award reservation is confirmed at the time of check-in in case of waitlists. Mileage will be redeemed at the time the flight has been confirmed and necessary arrangements on award issuance will be started.
Reminders for Award Application
- At the time of making reservations, you must already have in your JMB account the total amount of mileage that is needed for the award, otherwise you cannot make a reservation.
- All flights must be confirmed in order to issue an award. Upgrade Awards for open itineraries cannot be issued. Mileage will be redeemed by the Award Reservations Desk immediately at the time all flights have been confirmed and necessary arrangements on award issuance will be started.
- Upgrades are stored electronically and will be arranged at the departure airport on the flight date. When checking in, please mention that you have already requested for an upgrade award and present your purchased ticket.
- Waitlist application may be closed in certain international flights. Priority waitlisting for JMB Award reservations will apply to JMB FLY ON status members and JAL Global Club members.
Notes on redeeming for awards when applying for the JALCARD Family Program
If you register for the JALCARD Family Program, you can combine miles accumulated by individual family members when applying for awards. Main members or sub members who are 18 years old or above will be able to request awards by combining miles. Sub members under 18 years old cannot combine miles to request awards. For further details, please check " Notes on redeeming for awards" when applying for the JALCARD Family Program.
Reminders for Award Usage
- The following Airport Passenger Taxes will be necessary on the day of departure for Upgraded tickets from Economy class to Business class since this tax amount differs according to each reservation class.
[As of July, 2012]
- British Air Passenger Duty : 81GBP*1/83GBP*2 for departure from London.
(Payment is not applicable to Upgrade from Premium Economy class to Business class.)
*1 Until March 31, 2013 (flight date)
*2 Form April 1, 2013 (flight date)
- International Air Passenger Solidarity Tax : 36 EUR for departure from Paris.
Our standard services such as advance seat selection on upgraded classes and airport lounge access for First and Business class passengers also apply to award travel.
If connecting from other airline operated flights, the free baggage allowance for the upgraded class will not be applicable when the baggage is through checked-in at other airlines' check-in counters. To receive the upgraded class free baggage allowance service for the upgraded sector, members are required to check-in again at the transit airport counter.
After application for the award has been completed*1 the mileage used for the award can only be reinstated for totally unused award by paying the applicable fee. All reinstated mileage must be returned to the JMB account from which it was redeemed.
Please click here for details.
To page top