JAL International Upgrade Awards
- JAL International Upgrade Awards are available for fewer miles by taking part in the following promotions.
Upgrade Discount Promotion
September 2, 2016 - March 31, 2017
Promotion for Airport Upgrades
Promotion for FLY ON members only
April 1, 2016 - March 31, 2017
- Effective November 1, 2016, one waitlisted reservation will be permitted per one flight sector.
- Effective September 1, 2016, the rules for booking JAL International Upgrade Awards will be revised as follows.
- 1.Effective for mileage deducted from September 1, 2016 (*1), there will be changes to the required mileage for JAL International Upgrade Awards. (*2)
- 2.Required mileage levels for itineraries traveling via Japan will be discontinued. One upgrade award is required for each flight sector sector. (Learn more) (*2)
- 3.Deadlines for cancellations/refunds will take effect. (Learn more)
- *1Japan Region is based on Japan time. American Region is based on US Pacific time. Europe, Middle East & Africa Region is based on UK time. Asia & Oceania Region is based on Japan time.
- *2When a seat for a waitlisted request is confirmed on/after September 1, 2016:
- For waitlisted requests made on/before March 31, 2016, the award will be based on the required mileage levels that are effective until August 31, 2016
- For waitlisted requests made on/after April 1, 2016, the award will be based on the required mileage levels that are effective from September 1, 2016
What are JAL International Upgrade Awards?
JAL International Award Tickets allow you to redeem your miles to fly in the next higher class of service that that of your purchased ticket.
International routes on the following JAL Group airlines are eligible for upgrade awards.
- Japan Airlines (JAL)
- *Flights without a higher class of service are not eligible.
- *Upgrade awards are not available on Japan domestic routes.
- *Upgrade awards are not available on codeshare flights operated by other airlines.
- *Other sectors may not be eligible. Non eligible flights and routes are subject to change without prior notice.
Tickets Eligible for Upgrade Awards
Tickets Eligible for Upgrade (classes and fares)
Tickets with booking class J/C/D/X/W/E/Y/B/H/K printed in the CLASS column of the ticket.
Fare names indicated in the chart below are commonly used fare names.
|Business Class > First Class|
|J/C/D/X||Business class normal fares, Business Saver, Business Saver 14, Business Saver 21 Weekend Stay, Business Saver 7 Weekend Stay, etc.|
|Economy Class/Premium Economy Class > Business Class|
||Economy class normal fares, Economy Saver Flex, Economy Saver Premium, Economy Saver, Dynamic Saver Premium, Dynamic Saver Type A / Type B, etc.|
|Economy Class > Premium Economy Class|
||Economy Saver, Dynamic Saver Type A / Type B.|
Tickets Not Eligible for Upgrade
Dynamic Saver Type C / Type D / Type E / Type F, individual or group inclusive tour fares, special discounted fares, JMB award tickets and tickets subject to special provisions.
- *Certain types of fares are not eligible for upgrade, regardless of whether an eligible fare is printed on the ticket.
- *Certain Dynamic Saver types are not eligible for upgrade. Please confirm that the fare type is eligible for upgrade awards before purchase.
- *Seats designated for upgrade awards are limited and may not be available even upon purchase of an eligible ticket.