JAL International Award Tickets
JMB News & Special Offers
Who is Eligible for Awards
Awards can be used by the JMB member and eligible relatives. Please click here for details.
- *For members in the Japan region who have registered to the JALCARD Family Program, awards redeemed by pooling family mileage may be used by the primary member, the primary member's spouse, the primary member's relatives within the second degree of kinship, and the spouses of the primary member's brothers/sisters-in-law. For more details, please refer to the notes on redemption of awards using the JALCARD Family Program.
- *For members in regions other than Japan, please refer to the notes on award redemptions using the JAL Family Club mileage pool.
Number of Flight Sectors Permitted
For each award, a maximum of 3 flight sectors will be allowed each way.
1 Japan domestic flight sector will be permitted for each way of a round-trip itinerary.
- Depending on the itinerary, available flight options may not be displayed on the JAL website. For inquiries, please contact the JMB International Award Reservations Desk/JMB Center.
- Award tickets are issued for round-trip travel.
- The cities of departure and final return may be in different cities, but must be in the same area and within the same country (*).
- The arrival city of the outbound journey and the departure city of the return journey may be in different cities, but must be in the same area and within the same country (*).
- *Definition of the "same country"
- Canada and the U.S.A. are counted as the same country/area.
- All cities in Europe (Finland, France, Germany, and U.K.) are counted as the same country/area.
- China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan are counted as different areas.
- The city or country of original departure cannot be used as a transfer point to a final destination.
- Haneda and Narita airports in Tokyo are considered to be the same city, as are Itami and Kansai airports in Osaka, Chubu and Komaki airports in Nagoya, Incheon and Gimpo airports in Seoul, PuDong and Hongqiao airports in Shanghai, and Songshan and Taoyuan airports in Taipei.
- Surface sectors
Surface sectors in Japan are not permitted en route. As an exception, 1 surface sector is permitted for the entire itinerary when Japan is the destination of an itinerary originating outside of Japan. For itineraries that include a surface sector, the two cities connected by the surface sector will be considered to be the destination city regardless of the length of the stay.
- When using the JAL website, the system will automatically select and display direct flights and connecting flights between the specified cities of departure and arrival. Online reservations can be made only for the displayed flight options.
The cities of departure and return are in the same area but are not within the same country. Two one-way award tickets are needed - one for travel from Bangkok to Tokyo and one for travel from Tokyo to Hanoi.
The cities of outbound arrival and return departure are in the same area but are not within the within the same country. Two one-way award tickets are needed - one for travel from Tokyo to Kuala Lumpur and one for travel from Singapore to Tokyo.
The cities of departure and return are in the same area but are not within the same country/area. Two one-way award tickets are needed - one for travel from Shanghai to Tokyo and one for travel from Tokyo to Hong Kong.
One surface sector is permitted for the entire itinerary. Even if the surface sectors were to be traveled by air, traveling on either of these sectors would exceed the Japan domestic sector limit.
The itinerary includes a surface sector en route in Japan. Even if the surface sector were to be traveled by air, the relevant sector would exceed the Japan domestic sector limit.
The itinerary includes a surface sector en route in Japan. This itinerary would be permitted if the surface sector is traveled by air.
Stopovers in Japan
Stopovers (stays of more than 24 hours) in Japan are not permitted. All connections en route in Japan must be made within 24 hours.
Back-tracking is not permitted except for journeys within Japan or journeys specified in the award. (Back-tracking means reversing your direction of travel to make connections to continue onwards toward your next destination.)
Restricted Travel Dates For Awards
Please review the Restricted Travel Dates for JAL International Award Tickets. If travel within Japan is included, Restricted Travel Dates for JAL Group Domestic Award Tickets will also apply.
At other times the number of seats available for award travel may be limited, or may not be available.
- *Restricted travel dates are subject to change without prior notice. Please check for current information when making your reservation.