INFORMATION REGARDING [FUEL SURCHARGE] AND [INSURANCE SURCHARGE]
FOR INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS
Updated on August 5, 2016
JAL applies insurance surcharge on all international passenger tickets. The surcharge applies to JL coded flights including JAL flights operated by other airlines.
JAL currently does not apply fuel surcharge except for some codeshare flights within Europe.
Details of the Fuel Surcharge and Insurance Surcharge are as follows:
We will not apply fuel Surcharge for flights of JAL except codeshare flights within Europe on tickets issued between April 1 and November 30. Fuel surcharge will be reviewed and revised bimonthly. (Please click here for further details of the revision.)
< Tickets issued on/after April 1, 2016 until November 30, 2016 >
Per person for each segment from/to Japan
||For travel originating outside Japan
| Japan-Korea, Far East Russia
| Japan-China, Taiwan, Hong Kong
|Japan-Guam, Philippines, Palau, Vietnam
|Japan-Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia
|Japan-Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka, Hawaii
|Japan-North America, Europe(*1), Middle East, Oceania
- (*1) For the JL codeshare flights within Europe operated by British Airways (BA) /Finnair (AY/N7), the following amounts will be applied per sector.
|Country of departure for travel
|Europe (except above countries)
|Other than Europe (including Japan)
- These are not subject to bimonthly revision.
- 1. In addition to the applicable air fares and charges, the fuel surcharge in effect on the day of ticketing shall be applied.
- 2. The amounts for the fuel surcharge are the same for adults, children and infants occupying seats. Infants without seats are exempt from the fuel surcharge.
The fuel surcharge shall apply to JAL Mileage Bank award tickets.
- 3. When a ticket is presented for refund, the full amount of the fuel surcharge shall be returned.
- 4. The fuel surcharge may change without advance notice according to approvals from relevant governments.
5. The handling procedures for an adjustment of the fuel surcharge occurring after a ticket is issued up to the date of departure are as follows.
1) When a ticket is not changed(*),
no differential adjustment of the fuel surcharge will be made.
2) When the first international sector of the ticket is changed (*),
The difference between the previous fuel surcharge and the newly revised fuel surcharge applicable to the ticket issuance date will be adjusted. (the whole itinerary will be reassessed)
3) When items other than the first international sector of a ticket are changed,
no differential adjustments of the fuel surcharge will be made for changes other than the first international sector.
* Change means changes in itinerary, departure date with the same flight number, flight number with the same itinerary and rebooking of the new flights on the open dated award tickets previously cancelled.
Example: For the first international sector
- - Departure date change from November 1 to November 20 for JL031 Tokyo-Bangkok
- - Flight number change from JL031 to JL707 Tokyo-Bangkok on the same day
- - Making reservation of JL031 on November 1 Tokyo-Bangkok for open dated ticket
To cover the cost of the extra safety and security measures, an insurance surcharge is added to the price of tickets. We highly appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
||Amount per person for each segment
|Outside of Japan
* Except flights to/from Canada/Hong Kong, and travel originating in Brazil
- 1. In addition to the applicable air fares and charges, the insurance surcharge in effect on the day of ticketing shall be applied.
- 2. The amounts for the insurance surcharge are the same for adults, children and infants.
The insurance surcharge shall apply to JAL Mileage Bank award tickets.
- 3. When a ticket is presented for refund, the full amount of the insurance surcharge shall be returned.
- 4. The insurance surcharge may change without advance notice.
Japan Airlines Co., Ltd.
To Page top