Learn about rules for knives, dangerous goods, and other carry-on or checked baggage items concerned by many passengers.
For passengers flying on a codeshare flight
When boarding a codeshare flight serviced by another airline, the free baggage allowance indicated on your ticket will be valid in principle. For details, please contact us, the operating airline or your travel agency.
- What you can't carry to the cabin
- Carry-on items with restrictions
- What you can't include in checked baggage
- Checked items with restrictions
- Items prohibited from carry-on and checked baggage
What you can't carry to the cabin
Carrying knives or other restricted items into the cabin is a violation of Japan's Aviation Law and subject to a fine of up to JPY500,000.
- Items that can be used as a weapon, including knives and blunt objects
- Items with exceptionally sharp points
- Other items that could be used as weapons
If you are found to be carrying such items at a security check when departing from the U.S. or another country outside of Japan, you may be subject to fines under the laws of that country.
Country specific restrictions (Typical examples)
- The limitations of carry-on "Ink and Toner Cartriges"
- India-departing flights: matches and lighters prohibited as carry-on items
- Notice on changes to carry-on restrictions for passengers traveling to China
- Carry-on restrictions for fluids
* For details, please also check each airport information page.
Q&A about baggage
Carry-on items with restrictions
There are volume restrictions for fluids that can be carried onto international flights.
- All liquids must be in containers with a capacity no greater than 100ml.
- If traveling with more than one container, place all containers into a transparent and re-sealable plastic bag of a maximum capacity not exceeding one litre.
- One bag per person.
If your bag exceeds size restrictions, please properly pack the bag, place it inside baggage to be checked, and inform the check-in counter staff.
If your itinerary involves a transit, note that other countries have similar restrictions.
These restrictions also apply to passengers transitting to international routes after arriving in Japan. Note that passengers carrying alcohol and other liquid goods purchased inflight or at a duty-free shop in a foreign country will be asked to dispose of them when going through the security check in Japan for the connecting flight. Please refer to the following regarding the restrictions for carry-on liquids.
Lighters and matches
- One per passenger
- Only small lighters for smoking are permitted
More than one lighter per passenger cannot be carried on board.
Also, including any number of lighters in checked baggage is prohibited.
Lighters with oil tanks not containing absorbent material (cotton), cigar lighters/Premixing Lighters (those producing a strong blue flame) and pistol-shaped lighters cannot be checked in with baggage or carried on board.
Please make sure not to leave any lighters in the cabin when disembarking.
Restriction regarding match and lighter
Lighter and match are prohibited in checked baggage to the cargo compartment and also in carry-on baggage on some international flights.
What you can't include in checked baggage
Expensive items, valuables
The items listed below should be carried with you and not included in your checked baggage.
|Expensive items||Cash, jewelry, precious metals, securities, bills of exchange, works of art and antiques.|
|Valuables||Documents, electronic data, passports and other personal identification required for travel, samples, credit/bank cards, cash vouchers, bankbooks, checks, commuter passes, keys, computers and computer accessories, mobile phones, film cameras, digital cameras, video cameras, medicines, paintings, watches, mementos, etc.|
Checked items with restrictions
Bulky baggage and musical instruments
Passengers may be prohibited from checking the following baggage. Please contact us or your travel agency for details.
- Bulky baggage with total outside dimensions (length + width + height) over 203cm (80in)
- Large baggage that cannot be laid on its side and that has a height of more than 150cm (59in)*1
- Large baggage or musical instruments (contrabasses, cellos, etc.) that have a weight of more than 32㎏ (70lbs)
*1 79cm (31in) for any one side in the case of Boeing 737 aircraft
Items prohibited from carry-on and checked baggage
Please see the following page for information about dangerous goods.