Use of electronic devices on board
Learn about the use of electronic devices on board
JAL Group altered the restriction of use of electronic devices on board as follows on September 1, 2014. This change was based on the ministerial notification regarding the related civil aeronautical act.
Please set electronic devices to the mode which does not emit electronic signals or turn them off when cabin crew request to do so after all doors are closed. Those who break the law may be subject to fine of up to JPY500,000. (Civil Aeronautics Law, Enforcement, Article 164-15)
Also, please turn off electronic devices in your checked baggage.
- *1Please set electronic devices into airplane mode or turn off power after door closed. It is prohibited to access wireless LAN out of airplane. Our cabin crew will notify you about the use of electronic device after landing.
(A) Electronic devices that emit radio waves when activated
- Mobile phones
- Radio-controlled toys
- Wireless microphones
- Personal computers (PC)
- Personal digital assistants (PDA)
- Electronic game machines
- Mobile routers
- Wireless headphones, wireless earphones, battery operated IC tags and devices which may communicate wirelessly with other devices (such as Bluetooth, etc.) (*2)
*2 These devices can be used on the following aircrafts that allow the use of electronic device on board. For other aircrafts (*), same restrictions apply as other above-mentioned devices.
Aircrafts that allow the use of electronic device on board
- JAL (Japan Airlines) 737-800, 767, 777, 787
- JAC (Japan Air Commuter) DHC8-Q400
- J-AIR CRJ-200, EMBRAER 170, EMBRAER 190
- JTA (Japan Transocean Air) 737-800
- RAC (Ryukyu Air Commuter) DHC8-Q400
* Other aircrafts
- JTA (Japan Transocean Air) 737-400
- JAC (Japan Air Commuter) SAAB 340B
- RAC (Ryukyu Air Commuter) DHC8-Q100/Q300
- HAC (Hokkaido Air System) SAAB340B
(B) Electronic devices that do not emit radio waves when activated
All of the above-mentioned devices at (A) that do not emit radio waves when activated (*3), and the following devices.
- GPS receivers
- Video cameras
- Video players
- DVD players
- Digital cameras
- Digital audio equipment
- Wired & battery type headphones
- Wired & battery type earphones
- Word processors
- Electronic organizers, Electronic dictionaries
- Battery chargers
- Toys with voice or touch activated speakers and monitors
- Other electronic devices and electric products that do not emit waves when activated.
*3 "Devices that do not emit radio waves when activated" means that the function to talk and to send e-mail/text is disabled even if the power is on, such as airplane mode.
Notice about electronic devices on board
- We may request you to turn off your electronic devices in some circumstances according to captain's instruction.
- There are other electronic devices in addition to the above that are subject to usage restrictions according to JAL rules.
- Personal computers, PDAs and electronic gaming machines may be used on board by connecting to the inflight Wi-Fi.
- Applying a powerful force on electronic devices with the lithium-ion battery may cause the battery deformation and/or the battery protection function failure. This may lead to the battery failure with heat generation, burst, ignition. Please do not drop the electronic devices to the floor, stomp on them or drop them into the gap around the seat.
- We may ask you to turn off the electronic devices if any passengers using medical devices (such as pacemaker) are sitting around you.
- Please pay attention to the inflight safety announcement and other safety-related insutructions provided by our cabin crew.
- Please be considerate of other passengers when using electronic devices onboard. Also please refrain from talking on the mobile phone in the cabin because this may disturb other passengers.
- To ensure unrestricted escape during emergencies, we ask that you store all large laptop computers and other electronic devices together with carry-on baggage underneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead storage compartment during takeoff and landing.
- Please switch off electronic devices in your checked baggage in advance.
- When traveling on a codeshare flight, please follow the rules of the operating airline.
- Before boarding your flight, please completely turn off the power of mobile phones for children as such devices can sometimes be difficult to turn off.
About photographic film
Some airports may employ CT scans for baggage reinspection, in addition to standard X-ray scans. The increased X-ray exposure may affect photographic film. Therefore, it is recommended that you carry your photographic film with you into the cabin with your carry-on baggage.