O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTFlights operated by JAL arrive at Terminal 5.
Flights operated by JAL depart from Terminal 3.
Updated : 2018/6/15
- Temporary closure of Airport Transit System(Train)
Effective May 30,2018 through the winter season, the ATS will be closed Monday through Friday.
There will be a shuttle bus service that will operate between Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5 and economy parking lots 24 hours a day Monday through Friday. The ATS will continue to provide full service on Saturdays and Sundays.
Canada eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) requirement under the Canada Visa Waiver
- Passengers transferring to oneworld member airlines
- Passengers transferring from oneworld member airlines to Japan Airlines
- Minimum Connecting Time (Approximate)
Terminal guidance of oneworld member airlines
●=oneworld member airlines
Except for the above airlines, please check below.
Passengers transferring to oneworld member airlines
The following oneworld member airlines are found at O'Hare International Airport:
- American Airlines / American Eagle (AA)
- British Airways (BA)
- Iberia (IB)
- Cathay Pacific (CX)
- Royal Jordanian (RJ)
Flight JL7009 is a codeshare flight operated by American Airlines (AA153). (Until March 26, 2011, flight JL7009 operated as flight JL5003 / AA153, a codeshare flight with American Airlines.)
Both this flight and JL009 operate out of Terminal 3.
- Japan Airlines (JL) passengers connecting onto oneworld member airline flights should receive a boarding pass for the oneworld member airline flight upon departure from Japan.
- If you do not have your connecting boarding pass, please proceed to the departure terminal for your connecting flight and carry out the check-in procedure at the connecting airline's transfer counter.
Checked baggage (Re-check)
Regardless of whether your final destination is within the US or abroad, all passengers must go through a customs inspection when entering the United States.
Even if "final destination" is stamped on the baggage tag you were given when you checked your baggage at your departure point, you are still required to collect your baggage here and proceed through Customs.
The baggage collected for the customs inspection can be deposited again at Baggage Drop Off.
- After completing the customs inspection, please exit the Customs area and proceed to the Baggage Drop Off counter on the left-hand side.
- Please show your airline ticket or boarding pass and re-check your baggage.
Moving between terminals
Please use the airport shuttle bus or ATS (Air Transit System) to move between terminal buildings.
- All international flights, including Japan Airlines, arrive at Terminal 5.
oneworld member airline terminals
|American Airlines / American Eagle (AA) (JAL codeshare flights operated by AA), Iberia (IB)||Terminal 3 (About 4 minutes on the ATS)|
|British Airways (BA), Cathay Pacific (CX), Royal Jordanian (RJ)||Terminal 5|
At O'Hare International Airport, you will find the following oneworld lounges.
American Airlines (AA)
|Admirals Club||Terminal 3, in the crosswalk between Terminals H and K (turn right in the crosswalk in front of gate K6A).|
|Flagship Lounge||Terminal 3, Concourse K, next to gate K19.
(Restricted to American Airlines First and Business Class passengers, and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members.)
British Airways (BA)
|Terraces / First Lounge||Terminal 5, to the left of gate M12. (Restricted to British Airways First Class passengers and oneworld Emerald members.)|
- *In order to use a oneworld member airline lounge, you need to show a oneworld membership card with "elite status".
(If you are unable to present the card, you will not be admitted to the lounge.)
- Please see Terminal map to find the locations of the two lounges above.
- Please see Using airport lounges for more information on the rules (eligibility) for using the two lounges above.
After Customs, there are guides on hand to assist people, so please do not hesitate to ask one of them if anything is unclear.
Passengers transferring from oneworld member airlines to Japan Airlines
Passengers transferring from oneworld member airlines (mainly American Airlines / American Eagle (AA) at O'Hare International Airport) to Japan Airlines should receive a boarding pass for flight JL009 at the departure airport. (*)
* Even if you have a boarding pass for flight JL009, you need to present your passport information to the Immigration Bureau in advance of your flight, so please approach the counter or a boarding gate official.
- *Passengers connecting between JAL ⇔ oneworld flights (including oneworld and JAL codeshare flights), will be issued a boarding pass for their connecting flight on departure.
However, system issues can sometimes mean that the connecting boarding pass cannot be issued.
In this event, you will need to carry out check-in procedures again at the connecting airport.
If you are connecting from an airport within the United States or Canada and you checked your baggage through to your final destination at your departure point, you do not need to collect your baggage at O'Hare International Airport.
At Chicago O'Hare International Airport, please use the American Airlines Lounge.
- For more information about the lounge, please see Lounge service.
- Please see Using the lounge for rules (eligibility) on using the lounge.
Even if you have a boarding pass for flight JL009, you need to present your passport information to the Immigration Bureau in advance of your flight, so please approach the counter or a boarding gate official.
Minimum Connecting Time (Approximate)
|JAL → American Airlines (international / domestic flights)||85 minutes|
|JAL → other international airlines||90 minutes|
|JAL → other domestic airlines|
|American Airlines → JAL||40 minutes|
|Other international airlines → JAL||90 minutes|
|Other domestic airlines → JAL||75 minutes|
- Please be aware that transfer times can sometimes be longer.
- Depending on the connecting airline, connecting times may be longer than those listed above.
- For more information, please contact the Japan Airlines Reservations Center.