CONDITION OF CARRIAGE (INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE)
Effective 23 August, 2011
- In the event that a Passenger fails to use his/her Ticket or a portion thereof for a reason provided in paragraph (C) or (D) of this Article or that a Passenger loses his/her Ticket or a portion thereof (paragraph (E) of this Article), JAL will make a refund for such unused or lost Ticket or portion in accordance with this Article and JAL's Regulations. The provisions of this Article applicable to a Ticket shall apply to a Miscellaneous Charges Order.
- Under JAL's Regulations, JAL will limit or refuse a refund for a Ticket subject to conditions applicable to certain fares.
(B) Person to whom Refund will be made
- Unless otherwise provided in this Paragraph, JAL will make a refund to the person named in a Ticket or, to the person who purchased the Ticket upon presentation to JAL of satisfactory evidence to prove that he/she is entitled by these Conditions of Carriage to such refund.
- (a)If a person other than the Passenger named in a Ticket pays for the Ticket and designates a person to whom refund shall be made, JAL will indicate on the Ticket that there is a restriction on a person to whom refund shall be made and make a refund only to the designated person.
- A refund for a Ticket issued:
- pursuant to a Prepaid Ticket Advice will be made to the person paying JAL for such Advice;
- under the Universal Air Travel Plan(UATP) will be made to the subscriber for whose UATP Card the Ticket is issued;
- pursuant to a United States Government Transportation Request (GTR) will be made to the government agency issuing such GTR; and
- for a commercial credit card will be made to the commercial credit company issuing such card.
- Except in the case of lost Tickets, JAL will make a refund only if a Passenger Coupon or Passenger Receipt and all unused Flight Coupons are surrendered to JAL.
- Any refund made to a person presenting to JAL a Passenger Coupon or Passenger Receipt and all unused Flight Coupons and claiming a refund pursuant to sub-paragraph (1) or (2) of this paragraph shall be deemed a valid refund and shall discharge JAL from liability to make any further refund to the true parson.
(C) Involuntary Refunds
- The term "Involuntary Refund" means any refund made when a Passenger is prevented from using the Carriage provided for in his/her Ticket resulting from JAL cancels a flight, fails to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fails to stop at a Passenger's Destination or Stopover point, fails to provide previously confirmed space, causes a Passenger to miss his/her connecting flight on which he/she holds a reservation or refuses to carry or removes a Passenger pursuant to any of sub-paragraphs (1) through (5) of paragraph (A) of Article 10, and the amount of the refund shall be:
- if no portion of the trip has been made, an amount equal to the fare paid; and
- if a portion of the trip has been made, the higher of the following:
- the amount equal to the one way fare (or, when round trip discount was applied, one half of the round trip fare), less the same rate of discount, if any, that was applied in computing the original one way fare, and charges applicable to the unused transportation from the point of termination to the Destination or Stopover point named on the Ticket or to the point at which transportation is to be resumed; and
- the difference between the fare paid and the fare for the Carriage completed.
- If a Passenger paying for a class of service is required by JAL to use a lower class of service, the amount of refund shall be whichever is the higher of the following:
- the difference between the one way fares (or, when round trip discount was applied, one half of the round trip fare), less the same rate of discount, if any, that was applied in computing the original one way fare, for the original class of service and for the lower class of service, with respect to the sector where the lower class of service is required to be used; and
- the difference between the fare paid and the fare calculated based upon the premise on which the Passenger will travel the sector where the lower class of service is required to be used on such lower class of service.
(D) Voluntary Refunds
- The term "Voluntary Refund" means any refund of a Ticket other than Involuntary Refund, and the amount of the refund shall be:
- if no portion of the trip has been made, an amount equal to the fare paid, less any cancellation fees provided in JAL's Regulations; and
- if a portion of the trip has been made, an amount equal to the difference between the fare paid and the fare applicable to the sector for which the Ticket has been used, less any cancellation fees provided in JAL's Regulations.
- Unless otherwise provided in JAL's Regulations, in case of refund of lost tickets as prescribed in paragraph (E) of this Article, JAL will collect \10,000 (or the equivalent amount in a foreign currency) as a refund charge per a lost Ticket issued to a Passenger which constitutes a single contract of Carriage.
- If a refund for any portion of a Ticket shall result in such Ticket having been used for a sector where Carriage is prohibited, the refund, if any, shall be determined in accordance with subparagraph (1) (b) of this paragraph as if such Ticket had been used beyond a point until which Carriage is prohibited.
(E) Refund for Lost Ticket
- In the event that a Passenger loses a Ticket or a portion thereof, JAL will, upon receipt of evidence of such loss satisfactory to JAL and payment of the charge set forth in sub-paragraph (2) of paragraph (D) of this Article, make a refund if all of the conditions set forth in the following sub-paragraphs (1) through (3) are satisfied:
- the proof of such loss and a request for the refund are submitted to JAL not later than 30 Days from the expiration date of the lost Ticket;
- the lost Ticket or any portion thereof has not been used or refunded and a new Ticket has not been issued in replacement of such Ticket or portion in accordance with sub-paragraph (4) of paragraph (A) of Article 4; and
- the person to whom the refund is made agrees to indemnify JAL for any loss and damage incurred by JAL in connection with the refund or such lost Ticket being used for Carriage, refund or otherwise.
The amount of the refund shall be determined in accordance with sub-paragraph (1) of paragraph (D) of this Article; provided that, in case the Passenger purchased a Ticket for the lost Ticket or lost portion, JAL may refund the amount of the fare paid for such re-purchased Ticket only in case the Passenger traveled with such re-purchased Ticket in accordance with the fare regulations applicable to such lost Ticket.
(F) Right to Refuse Refund
- JAL will refuse a refund for a Ticket in the event that a request therefor is made later than 30 Days from the expiration date of the Ticket.
- JAL may refuse a refund for a Ticket which a Passenger presents to JAL or to government officials of a country as evidence of his/her intention to depart therefrom, unless the Passenger establishes to JAL's satisfaction that he/she has permission to remain in the country or that he/she will depart therefrom by other Carrier or other transportation service.
- JAL will not make a refund for a Ticket of a Passenger in the event that Carriage of the Passenger is refused or he/she is removed in accordance with sub-paragraphs (6) through (8) of paragraph (A) of Article 10.
- Any refund will be made subject to Applicable Laws of the country in which a Ticket is originally paid for and of the country in which the refund is made. Any refund will normally be made in the currency in which the Ticket is paid for but may be made in other currency in accordance with JAL's Regulations.
(H) Refund by JAL
- Unless otherwise provided in JAL's Regulations, JAL will make a voluntary refund for a Ticket only in case JAL or its Authorized Agent originally issued the Ticket.