CONDITION OF CARRIAGE (INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE)
Effective 23 August, 2011
- "Agreed Stopping Places" means those places, other than the place of departure and the Destination, set forth in a Ticket and/or any Conjunction Ticket issued in connection therewith as scheduled stopping places on the Passenger's route, or shown in Carrier's timetable.
- "Applicable Laws" means such laws, cabinet orders and ministerial ordinances and other governmental regulations, rules, orders, demands or requirements of any state or country as will apply to Carriage of a Passenger and/or Baggage to be performed by JAL.
- "Authorized Agent" means a passenger sales agent appointed by a Carrier to represent the Carrier in the sale of Carriage of Passengers over the services of the Carrier and, if authorized by the Carrier, over the services of any other Carrier.
- "Baggage" means such articles, effects and other personal property of a Passenger as are necessary or appropriate for wear, use, comfort or convenience in connection with his/her travel. Unless otherwise specified, it includes both Checked and Unchecked Baggage of the Passenger.
- "Baggage Check" means such portion of a Ticket as provides for Carriage by a Carrier of Checked Baggage and as is issued by the Carrier as receipt of such Checked Baggage.
- "Baggage Identification Tag" means a document issued by a Carrier solely for the purpose of identification of Checked Baggage and consisting of two portions: the baggage tag portion which is attached by the Carrier to a particular article of Checked Baggage and the Baggage claim stub which is given to the Passenger.
- "Carriage" means carriage of a Passenger and/or Baggage by air, gratuitous or for reward.
- "Carrier" means an air carrier and shall include an air carrier issuing a Ticket and any air carrier that carries a Passenger and/or his/her Baggage under the Ticket or provides or undertakes to provide any other services incidental to such Carriage.
- "Checked Baggage" means Baggage of which a Carrier takes custody and for which the Carrier issues a Baggage Check and Baggage Identification Tag.
- "Child" means a person who has reached his/her second birthday but not his/her twelfth birthday as of the date of commencement of Carriage.
- "Conjunction Ticket" means a Ticket issued to a Passenger in conjunction with another Ticket which together constitute a single contract of Carriage.
- "Convention" means whichever of the following instruments is applicable to the contract of Carriage:
"Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules Relating to International Carriage by Air", signed at Warsaw on 12th October, 1929 (hereinafter referred to as the "Warsaw Convention");
"Warsaw Convention as amended at Hague in 1955" signed at Hague on 28th September, 1955;
"Warsaw Convention" as amended by Additional Protocol No.1 of Montreal 1975;
"Warsaw Convention as amended at Hague in 1955" as amended by Additional Protocol No.2 of Montreal 1975, and
"Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air", done at Montreal on 28th May, 1999 (hereinafter referred to as the "Montreal Convention").
- "Days" means calendar days including all seven days of the week; provided that, for the purpose of calculating the number of days of a notice period, the day upon which such notice is dispatched shall not be counted and further provided that, for the purpose of determining the period of validity of a Ticket, the day upon which the Ticket is issued, or the flight is commenced, shall not be counted.
- "Destination" means the ultimate stopping place under a contract of Carriage. In the case of a trip which returns to the place of departure, the Destination is the same as the place of departure.
- "Electronic Coupon" means an electronic Flight Coupon or other value document held in JAL's database.
- "Electronic Flight Coupon" means such form of Flight Coupon as is recorded in JAL's database.
- "Electronic Ticket" means the Itinerary/Receipt and Electronic Flight Coupon issued by a Carrier or its Authorized Agent.
- "Endorsement" means a written authority from a Carrier to transfer a Ticket or Miscellaneous Charges Order or an individual coupon thereof to another Carrier. Such authority shall normally be stamped in a specified box of the relevant coupon but may also be effected by use of a document, telegraph or other method of communication.
- "Flight Coupon" means such portion of a Passenger Ticket (in the case of Electronic Ticket, the Electronic Flight Coupon) as indicates particular places between which the coupon is good for Carriage.
- "French Gold Francs" means French francs consisting of 65 1/2 milligrams of gold at the standard of fineness of nine hundred thousandths. French Gold Francs may be converted into any national currency in round figures.
- "Infant" means a person who has not reached his/her second birthday as of the date of commencement of Carriage.
- "International Carriage" means (except where the Convention is applicable) Carriage in which, according to a contract of Carriage, the place of departure and, the Destination or Agreed Stopping Place, are situated in two or more countries. As used in this definition, the term "country", which is equivalent to "state", shall include any territory subject to its sovereignty, suzerainty, mandate, authority or trusteeship.
- "Itinerary/Receipt" means a document or documents forming part of the Electronic Ticket which contains the information such as the itinerary, ticket information, a portion of the conditions of a contract of Carriage and notices relating thereto.
- "JAL" means Japan Airlines Co., Ltd..
- "JAL's Regulations" means JAL's rules and regulations, other than these Conditions of Carriage, for International Carriage of Passengers and/or Baggage including, but not limited to, JAL's tables of fares, rates and charges.
- "Miscellaneous Charges Order" means a document or an electronic document issued by a Carrier or its Authorized Agent, requesting issue of an appropriate Ticket or provision of travel services to the person named in such document or electronic document.
- "Passenger" means any person, except crew members, carried or to be carried in an aircraft with the consent of a Carrier.
- "Passenger Coupon" or "Passenger Receipt" means such coupon or receipt constituting a portion of a Ticket as is issued by a Carrier or its Authorized Agent and is marked with "Passenger Coupon" or "Passenger Receipt", which document shall constitute a Passenger's written evidence of a contract of Carriage.
- "Passenger Ticket" means such portion of a Ticket as is issued by a Carrier or its Authorized Agent and as provides for Carriage of a Passenger.
- "Rerouting" means any change in a routing, Carrier, class of service, flight or period of validity from that originally provided in the duly-issued Ticket which a Passenger presents for Carriage.
- "SDR" mean Special Drawing Rights as defined by the International Monetary Fund. Conversion of the SDR sum into a national currency shall, in the case of judicial proceedings, be made at the exchange rate between the currency and SDR prevailing on the date of the final court hearing of such proceedings and, in any other case, at the exchange rate between the currency and SDR prevailing on the date on which the amount of the damages is finally fixed or on which the value of Baggage is declared.
- "Stopover" means such deliberate interruption of a travel by a Passenger, at a point between the place of departure and the Destination, as is agreed to in advance by the Carrier.
- "Ticket" means either the document entitled "Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check" or the Electronic Ticket, in each case issued by a Carrier or its Authorized Agent for Carriage of a Passenger and/or Baggage, setting forth a portion of the conditions of a contract of Carriage and notices relating thereto and containing Flight Coupon and Passenger Coupon or Passenger Receipt or Electronic Flight Coupon and Itinerary/Receipt.
- "To Validate" means to stamp on a Passenger Ticket an indication that it has been duly issued by a Carrier or its Authorized Agent or, in the case of an Electronic Ticket, to register all of the Electronic Flight Coupons in JAL's database.
- "Unchecked Baggage" means any Baggage other than Checked Baggage.
Travel information of other airlines.